By Nkeko Motlousi
South Africans are encouraged to celebrate the cultural wealth of our nation, the diversity of people`s beliefs and traditions during the month of september. The official day of this commemorative event is the 24th. The theme of this year is: “Complex pasts: Diverse Futures.”
Throughout the month of September, people have the opportunity to taste traditional; food from different cultures. Unity in diversity is emphasized as each unique culture exhibits spectacular attires and well prepared traditional food in communities, workplaces, schools, colleges and universities. As a rainbow nation, South Africa has freedom of cultural, religious and linguistic expression as enshrined in the constitution of the Republic of south Africa. The difference in cultures is characterized by language, religion, race, sexual orientation, nationality, class, gender, age, ethnicity, disability, health differences, geographic location etc.
Iconic landmarks and heritage sites to visit:
- Robben island - Cape Town
- The Voortrekker Monument - Tshwane
- Candle of Humankind - Maropeng Johannesburg
- Union buildings - Tshwane
- Constitution hill - Johannesburg
- The Big Hole - Kimberley
- The Nelson Mandela Museum - Mthatha
- Khoisan Rock Art - Cederberg
- The castle of good hope- Cape Town
- Isandlawana Battlefield - Kwazulu-Natal
- Table Mountain - Cape Town
South Africans pride themselves on their cultures and traditions and it is beautiful when we learn from each other. A Happy Heritage Month to All!